I love Curry! The balance of mildly sweet coconut and spicy curry flavors are so warming to my soul. We get fresh organic fruits and veggies delivered every other week, so I’m always looking for ways to incorporate lots of vegetables into one dish. Curry is the perfect dish for that.
This dish incorporates the use of local vegetables as well as essential oils. I used doTERRA black pepper, cilantro and lemongrass essential oils for this recipe. Certain doTERRA oils are safe for internal applications. You can use these oils in recipes for cooking or baking to replace fresh or dried herbs and spices. I was fascinated by the potency, fragrance and aroma in the oils. They transformed the dish, and I was immediately reminded that oils in such a pure and concentrated form is not only a practical option, but better for the environment.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. You can also add vegetables, or change them, depending on what’s in season.
- 1 Tbsp organic coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch organic lacinato or curly kale, chopped
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced long
- 1/2 cup organic carrots, chopped
- 1 Tbsp organic curry powder
- dash or pinch of organic cayenne powder (optional)
- 3 drops doTERRA lemongrass essential oil (order here)
- 3 drops doTERRA black pepper essential oil (order here)
- 1 14-ounce can organic coconut milk
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
- Organic Basmati Rice
- 3 drops doTERRA cilantro essential oil (order here)
- Organic green onions or cilantro
- Organic red pepper flakes
- Start rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. Add 3 drops of doTERRA cilantro essential oil to the water before cooking.
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of oil. Add onions and cook until softened, stirring frequently – about 3-5 minutes. Add the carrots and kale and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and portobello mushrooms and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, curry powder, 3 drops of doTERRA black pepper essential oil, 3 drops of doTERRA lemongrass essential oil, and a dash of cayenne (optional), and a small amount of sea salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat slightly. Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve over cilantro basmati rice
Enjoy the aroma and taste of a healthy vegan meal!